Heritage Week 2019 runs from 21st to 25th January @PowerstownETNS.
All classes have a range of activities planned and we are eager to get parents/guardians involved. Please see a brief overview below and please keep an eye on class blogs and homework journals for parent invites to activities.
- Exhibition of real and replica artefacts, donations encouraged and will be returned unless you want to give them to the school for keeps!
- Children can visit and handle (under supervision) all artefacts in the Mini Museum
- If any parents/guardians/friends have any artefacts they are willing to allow us to exhibit, we would be delighted!
- Images/examples of unusual artefacts will be on display
- Children to guess what they think the artefact might have been used for/called; and when it might date to; etc
- History books available for the children to read during Mini Museum visits etc
- Old maps of Ireland on display
- There will be an archaeologist area set up in the Mini Museum where children can try on archaeologist clothes (photo op!!); interact with trowel and tray; do a little stratigraphy task on the whiteboard
- Soil will be added mid-week so they can scramble about to ‘excavate’ items
- Some classes will be lucky enough to have a guest speaker under the Heritage in Schools programme!
Guess the Baby
- All staff kindly asked to bring in or forward a baby/childhood photo of themselves for display
- Children can complete a worksheet to guess which adult matches each photo
- Results will be revealed at assembly on the Friday
Grandparents/Older Person Day
- Children are invited to encourage older people to come in for a visit – grandparents, neighbours, friends, etc
- Younger classes can do a poem/song about grandparents and participate in heritage week games/activities.
- Older classes encouraged to compile informal interview-style questions where they can have a chat with the older person about what it was like growing up when they were young compared to now.
- Keep an eye on class blogs/notes home for date your child’s class!
- Aimed at infant classes (but everyone is welcome to avil)
- There will be a little Dino Area in the Mini-Museum.
Show & Tell
- Children and parents are invited to bring along an artefact for show and tell. This can be historical/cultural/whatever
- Keep an eye on class blogs/letters home for dates and timed for your child’s class.